Sunday, January 22, 2012

That City I Love

This one might not necessarily be Minneapolis. Or St. Paul. They've certainly influenced this painting, but even more than with the other city paintings, I was more interested in depicting the impression a place can give.
Next week I'm going to L.A. I love L.A. I've only been there once, and between then and now my brain has painted it into this glorious place that it almost certainly isn't. The great thing about it, though, is that I think part of our existing experience is in our heads. I think we make our places beautiful or terrible.

This painting is for my godfather, who travels the world. I've learned a lot about loving places from him.

winterskyline
watercolor and acrylic on 180 lb cold press paper

1 comment:

Chris P said...

Ooo!
Francesca, this looks great!
I really dig seeing things like these pop up on my Tumblr and Blogspot from you; especially since i moved away to Texas recently.
Even more so with the ones with snow, like the cover piece to the Urban Winter i saw posted recently.
I remember living on Franklin Ave a couple years ago, good times.

keep it up! :D